This year, Ellie’s Academy is getting ready to celebrate “Week of the Young Child,” a nationally celebrated week of celebration for early childhood educators. WOYC was established by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), the world’s largest early childhood education association.
But do you know the reason behind this week long celebration?
NAEYC chose to establish “Week of the Young Child” to garner more attention on the importance of early child programs. This special week of recognition was first established in 1971, and years later, centers across the United States put together week-long activities for their children and families to participate in.
And at Ellie’s Academy, we’re looking forward to what we have planned for our center’s children and families!
April 8th– Music Monday
- Musical performer, Mr. Ray, will be coming to the center and performing for the children. Families are encouraged to come and attend the event if they would like to. The Mayor of Somerville, Dennis Sullivan, will also be visiting the center for a special announcement as well!
April 9th– Tasty Tuesday
- Healthy eating is an important aspect of growing up! And at Ellie’s Academy, we like to promote healthy eating throughout the center; so that is why we’re setting up a DIY fruit parfait at pick-up time. Parents are encouraged to pick-up their children and visit the parfait station for a healthy afternoon snack!
April 10th– Work Together Wednesday
- The importance of “Work Together Wednesday” is to showcase how different people can come together for a particular cause. The students of Ellie’s Academy are going to be working together to make a center-wide garden; and at the same time, they will learn responsibility because they will be taking care of the plants by watering them, and ensuring they are growing properly.
April 11th–Artsy Thursday
- On this day, we will be hosting a family-friendly “paint & sip” event. Parents who have signed up for this event will make a beautiful work of art with their little one(s) and enjoy some sweet treats at the same time!
April 12th– Family Friday
- We could not think of a better way to end the week than with a family game night and dinner for all to enjoy! This is our special way of saying THANK YOU for choosing Ellie’s Academy as their child’s home away from home!
As you can see, Week of the Young Child isn’t just about promoting the importance of early education. But it’s also about engaging everyone who is a part of our childcare center. We look forward to hosting these special events for our families!